Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Wildflowers

I love flowers as any other person in this world. Other than the common love, as a student of Plant Science flowers has a special place in my heart. Though I always hated the Taxonomy classes in my undergrad days but always enjoyed the lab which introduced me to so many unknown plants with their beautiful flowers and fruits. Well, now I'm no more in India and I have a chance to explore new plants. The funny part is either you have to go the nature trails or have to carefully look on the sides of the sidewalk for the herbs which have won the "hide and seek" with the grass mowers. In India, we have natural mowers , cows and goats :) My lab mate here was telling me that she is thinking of hiring some goats to mow her lawns. Not a bad idea :P
 These pictures are taken mostly on my way to the work place. Yes, I walk as it's only 20 minutes from my home. Everyday I see the additional yellow carpet of buttercups on the endless grass carpet from a distance. I went near by one day, adored them and captured their elegant presence in my mind as well as in my camera. I can't express how happy I was within them. 
Wildflowers are another reason for me to go for hiking. White, purple, blue flowers will welcome you all through your way. Japanese honeysuckles are there to mesmerise you with their fragrance.  What else you want. I find Kentucky Wildflower a very useful link.
    I'll keep on posting some more photos, so keep on checking.


                                             Beautiful Buttercups(Ranunculus acris)

                                                       Me with the Buttercups
                                                               Buttercup carpet.
                                     one of my favorite: Birdsfoot Trefoil (Lotus corniculatus)
                                               very common White clovers (Trifolium repens)
                                                Beautiful Rough-fruited Cinquefoil (Potentilla recta)
No, these are not strawberries but called Mock strawberry, Gurbir or Indian Strawberry (Potentilla indica)

Mexican Hat (Ratibida columnifera)

                                              Staghorn sumac (Rhus typhina) Well, this is a fruit not the flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment